pedigree aberdeen angus – wessex herd
We recently moved into breeding pedigree Aberdeen Angus cattle, as part of a policy of adding value to our business as government support for farming is being reduced.
We feel that the Aberdeen Angus has a strong future because:
- It has a reputation for quality beef production for taste and cooking quality and marbled high value beef.
- It is superbly suited to extensive, low input, forage-based production with a very low carbon footprint.
- It is by far the easiest calving of any breed we have experienced.
- The polled genetics eliminate the need for stressful dehorning.
We have established our pedigree herd with females from the well-respected Grandon and Standlynch herd, using Hawkley Red Angus bulls with a long term aim to breed a Red Angus herd of moderate weight (600-700kg) cows, that produce fast growing progeny from grass alone.
During the initial establishment phase we are unlikely to be selling many females however (given the source of our breeding females) we will have very high quality and high EBV young bulls for sale at around 12-15 months old. These will be ideally suited dairy producers and beef suckler producers alike.
Our herd is:
- Only sourced from herds which are accredited as high health status (males and females).
- Accredited by SAC for health status with respect to BVD, Johnes and TB.
- Performance recorded through Breedplan with EBVs available.
- Selected for low maintenance, low input, performance from grass.
- Selected for cow-calf efficiency (forage performance), in priority to EBV maternal indexes which currently tend to favour large mature size of cattle.
Get in touch
We aim to sell young breeding bulls as yearlings, so please contact us to arrange a visit.
This is our current stock bull, Hawkley Red Ferdinand (T865), the best Hawkley bull of the 2017 crop. He is a perfectly proportioned and very docile bull, and in aquiring him we have set the bar extremely high for future bulls.